Sunday, December 16, 2012

Quilt

Preschool Activities
I love to save old Christmas cards for crafts.  I usually use last year's cards to make Christmas tree ornaments or gift tags.  I pulled a few old cards out for today's craft.  With safety scissors, I allowed my little man to cut a few cards into large pieces.  Then I had him piece together the shapes on contact paper.  The result was adorable an Christmas quilt placemat.

(...an adorable Christmas quilt placemat that fell apart - I assume because the cards were too thick.  So, if you want to make this craft, I recommend laminating your placemat before it gets too much use)

Family Activities
We have a big old Bradford Pear Tree in our backyard that I love to sit under and read with the boys.  It's not particularly cold here yet, but it has been rather overcast.  So we went outside with lots of blankets and lots of books.  One thick quilt was laid on the ground, we hung two sheets over a clothes line and wrapped up in the rest.

Of course, if the weather prohibited outdoor story time, you could always build a blanket fort inside or wrap up in a quilt to read stories and drink hot chocolate by the fireplace.

Service Activities
Donate warm blankets to the homeless shelter
 
Snacks
Using a few different flavors and colors of fruit leathers, cut small squares.  Have each child create a pattern, piecing together the squares into their own quilt.  

Songs
The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire)


Books
The Christmas Memory Quilt, by Kimberly Webb (out of print)

No comments:

Post a Comment